Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Pineapple Express

Last night my friends and I saw Pineapple Express, the latest film from Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. It very well may be one of the best stoner movies since the Cheech and Chong era.





Rogen and co-star James Franco give very believable performances, probably for a reason. Not just playing potheads, either. There is a suprising amount of human drama that passes between the two characters.





Rogen plays Dale Denton, a process server who spends most of his time between handing out subpoenas smoking pot and calling in to talk radio shows. His dealer, Saul Silver (Franco), sells him a new variety of pot called Pineapple Express which, he claims, is the greatest pot ever created. When Dale has to serve a subpoena to Ted Jones (Gary Cole), he witnesses Jones and a female police officer named Carol (Rosie Perez) commit a murder. Jones, it turns out, is a drug supplier. More specifically, he is the only supplier of the pot strain Pineapple Express, which Dale throws out his window in the panic of witnessing the homicide.



The movie plays out as one of the funniest stoner/buddy movies of the past couple decades, yet is very well meshed with the action/thriller/crime drama. Nerd friendly comedy that you may not get if you don't spend ample time in a comic shop, gratuitous violence, and a whole lot of pot usage leave you well satisfied. Writing wise, Rogen and Goldberg have come a long way in the right direction since Superbad. The dialogue is much smarter, the jokes better timed. Maybe it's better casting. I'm usually a fan of Jonah Hill, but his character in Superbad was meant for Rogen. I really do not like Michael Cera at all. James Franco, however, I can be a big fan of (with the exception of when he does the lame chick flick teen comedies).

Now that it is two days later (work required that I put the second half of my review on hold) I have lost a bit of what I planned on posting. So, I suppose I'll leave it with this. This is a fun movie that is definitely worth seeing. Just be warned of the violence and gore. It will be a suprise if you don't expect it.

No comments: