Monday, November 17, 2008

Breaking the border of Dystopia

So, sometimes I wonder why I love movies like Mad Max and Blade Runner. Movies with imperfect futures. Science fiction. The idea that the more we better ourselves, the futher we slip into dystopia. A dark seed in my soul hopes that this is our future. I don't know why. The hope to see a world where government has become corporation and corporation has become government. Maybe it's the opportunity to say "HA! Told you so!" Maybe it's that part of the human psyche that WANTS to see destruction. Tell yourself you don't all you want, we all want to see violence, death, and pain. Why do you think contact sports are so popular? We all want to see someone's knee snap back and bend the wrong direction. Yes, it's dark. Yes, it's a horrible thing to say. Yes, you are lying if you say you don't think that way.

It's strange. Sometimes I wish I could be frozen until dystopia stands. A world where the skies are always gray. Flying cars, skyscrapers that touch space, robots. A world overrun by apathy. I want to go t sleep and awaken in this world...just so that when I can wake up, I can do everything I can to tear it apart.

Then, I remember that I am a writer. I CAN close my eyes and step into this world. All I have to do is CREATE it. Create it, destroy it, create it again. I remember that within my mind, I can create infinite worlds. And, as those worlds die, I can choose if they go out with a bang or a wimper.

No comments: